Extra virgin olive oil has been a staple in Mediterranean diets for centuries and is also widely used in the cosmetic industry for its numerous skin benefits. Our founder started making skincare products from extra virgin olive oil for her kids when they were experiencing mild eczema after moving to Arizona. Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) is extracted from the first cold pressing of the olives, making it the purest form of olive oil.
Here are some of the skin benefits of using extra virgin olive oil:
1. Moisturizes the skin: Extra virgin olive oil is rich in healthy fatty acids and antioxidants, making it an excellent moisturizer for the skin. It penetrates deep into the skin and helps retain moisture, leaving the skin soft and supple.
2. Anti-aging properties: The antioxidants present in extra virgin olive oil help fight free radicals, which are responsible for premature aging of the skin. It also contains a compound called squalene, which boosts collagen production and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Check our our Ageless Face Night Oil here.
3. Reduces inflammation: Extra virgin olive oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce redness and inflammation on the skin. It is particularly effective in treating skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
4. Protects against sun damage: The polyphenols in extra virgin olive oil help protect the skin from the harmful effects of UV rays. It reduces the risk of sunburn and protects against skin cancer.
5. Helps heal wounds: Extra virgin olive oil contains oleocanthal, which has anti-inflammatory properties and helps speed up the healing process of wounds.
In conclusion, extra virgin olive oil is an excellent natural ingredient for healthy, glowing skin. Its moisturizing, anti-aging, anti-inflammatory, and protective properties make it a popular choice in the beauty industry. It can be used alone as a moisturizer or in combination with other natural ingredients for more targeted skin benefits.